Bodhi Leaves - Offerings and Reflections from the Buddhist West

Saturday, September 12, 2009

A What in the Where?!

I recently came across two interesting stories about Thomas Dyer, a US Army National Guardsman from Tennessee who also serves as a Buddhist chaplain. Yes, Buddhist chaplain. Dyer's spiritual journey from Bible Belt Baptist to Buddhism is fascinating in itself but his story also raises very interesting points regarding Buddhists in the military, especially the US military. The first story looks at Dyer's background. The second story is an interview he gave to NPR recently. Both are thought provoking, to say the least. Here's an excerpt from the interview:
MARTIN (NPR): Now, your story is interesting, I think, for many reasons. Not only are you the military's first Buddhist chaplain; before that, you were a Southern Baptist minister, which turns out to be important to your current post - we'll get to that. Can you just tell us what drew you to Buddhism, recognizing that, of course, it's complicated and a complicated journey for anyone, but can you help us understand what drew you to the faith?

Mr. DYER: I think the journey begins with meditation. The idea of meditation is not to talk or interact with words but to just sit with God or Christ. In my pastorate as a Southern Baptist pastor, in my office, I would sit and meditate in this manner. As I began to interact with Zen Buddhism itself, pretty much like a homecoming, so to speak.

MARTIN (NPR): You know, it's a remarkable coming together of all your various lives, if I can put it that way. I mean, your family, your wife and your children have not embraced the same path as you. How is that working, if you don't mind my asking?

Mr. DYER: My wife and family are very committed Christians, and I support that. But you can imagine with great compassion how they would feel. But I've decided that this Buddhism is an individual path. So I support my family, my wife's Christian faith, and I help support raising our children in the Christian faith, as well.

No comments: