Bodhi Leaves - Offerings and Reflections from the Buddhist West

Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Fifth Mindfulness Training: Nourishment and Healing

Intro.

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to
cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family,
and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I
will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of
Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and
consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs,
or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites,
electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and
conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be
in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and
around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor
letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I
am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other
suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing
and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body
and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my
family, my society and the Earth.

No comments: