Bodhi Leaves - Offerings and Reflections from the Buddhist West

Saturday, August 29, 2009

This Morning I Came From the Expanse of Reality

Namo Guru

When the precious lord when to see the Lord of Great Compassion at Gyirong, one of the women pulling weeds in the valley of Gün asked, "Yogi, where did you come from this morning? Where will you go tonight? Who do you have for a friend when you're sad? What do you spread out as a seat? What do you wear for clothing? What do you use for a pillow? Who are you friendly with as a close companion? What do you eat for food? What do you drink for a drink?

In reply to her, the precious lord said this:

This morning I came from the expanse of reality.
Tonight I'll go into the expanse of reality.
I have the master's oral instructions for a friend when I'm sad.
I spread out great bliss as a seat.
I wear the natural warmth of the primordial for clothing.
I use great equanimity as a pillow.
I'm friendly with intrinsic self-awareness as a close companion.
I eat pure meditative concentration for food.
I drink continuity for a drink.
The food is eaten in nonduality,
the taste experienced as great bliss.
The actualization of the three true buddha bodies is achieved.

When he said this, they gained faith in both him and the brother Lama Khandro and served them much food.

-"The Songs of the Adept Godrakpa Who is Peerless in the Three Realms, Song 32" from 'Hermit of Go Cliffs' translated by Cryus Stearns

No comments: