Bodhi Leaves - Offerings and Reflections from the Buddhist West

Monday, August 10, 2009

The First Mindfulnes Training: Reverence For Life


Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed
to cultivating the insight of interbeing and compassion and learning ways
to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am
determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to support any
act of killing in the world, in my thinking, or in my way of life.
Seeing that harmful actions arise from anger, fear, greed, and
intolerance, which in turn come from dualistic and discriminative
thinking, I will cultivate openness, non-discrimination, and
non-attachment to views in order to transform violence, fanaticism, and
dogmatism in myself and in the world.

No comments: