Bodhi Leaves - Offerings and Reflections from the Buddhist West

Monday, September 8, 2008

Eight Verses on Training the Mind

The Tibetan classic by Langri Tangpa, translated by Alexander Berzin:

(1) May I always cherish all limited beings
By considering how far superior they are
To wish-granting gems
For actualizing the supreme aim.

(2) Whenever I come into anyone’s company,
May I regard myself less than everyone else
And, from the depths of my heart, value others
More highly than I do myself.

(3) Whatever I am doing, may I check the flow of my mind,
And the moment that conceptions or disturbing emotions arise,
Since they debilitate myself and others,
May I confront and avert them with forceful means.

(4) Whenever I see beings instinctively cruel,
Overpowered by negativities and serious problems,
May I cherish them as difficult to find
As discovering a treasure of gems.

(5) When others, out of envy, treat me unfairly
With scolding, insults, and more,
May I accept the loss upon myself
And offer the victory to others.

(6) Even if someone whom I have helped
And from whom I harbor great expectations
Were to harm me completely unfairly,
May I view him or her as a hallowed teacher.

(7) In short, may I offer to all my mothers,
both actually and indirectly,
Whatever will benefit and bring them joy;
And may I hiddenly accept on myself
All my mothers’ troubles and woes.

(8) Through a mind untarnished by stains of conceptions
Concerning eight passing things, throughout all of this,
And that knows all phenomena as an illusion,
May I break free from my bondage, without any clinging.

No comments: