Bodhi Leaves - Offerings and Reflections from the Buddhist West

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Feeling It

One of the most important functions of meditation practice is that it allows the mind to settle. When this occurs, we can experience both the inner and outer stillness and clarity. A big misconception people have however, is that this is something which can only occur on the meditation cushion or in a remote, mountain-top hermitage. Not so.

My usual schedule is to wake up before dawn everyday and after freshening up, shaving, etc. I prepare for the morning sit. Sitting at this time is great for two reasons. The first is that there's a good feeling of "rising with the sun". The second is that its just before the serious rush hour traffic starts on my street.

One random morning however, I overslept. "Ugh, too late for the morning sit, I'd better eat and head out", I thought to myself.

While waiting for my computer to start up, something happened. I'm not sure how to explain it other than to say I was "feeling it". What was I feeling? I could best describe it as calmness, stillness, and a kind of gentle sereneness. I had experienced something like this before...on a silent meditation retreat. Amazing, open, full of wonde-HOOOOONK HOOOONK. Before I knew it however, the computer was on, the tea kettle whistling, and the traffic rolling out in full. Nonetheless, it was still an interesting experience to have. Perhaps I should try oversleeping more often.


Sunrise from my apartment window:




No comments: